Sunday, October 08, 2006

Vista RC2 / 5744 - Reinstall went well

previously this week....

- RC1 / 5728 installed
- streaming live HDTV to xbox 360 would affect recording in background
- CPU spiked between 60-90% while streaming HDTV
- CPU 5-10% while streaming HD WMV
- USB external drive where recordings are made is using 50% CPU while active itself (!)

seems like my external USB2 drive is causing spikes in CPU while transferring, causing glitches in a recording while navigating in a different video during playback.


Vista RC2 / 5744:

Cleaned off Mono's hard drive, repartioned to 10GB(sys)/2GB(swp)/16(storage), and did a clean install. 35 min later, I'm at the Windows login screen. Very smooth install, more 'billboards' to look at while installing. I then checked for updates, and for my USB Fusion HDTV I followed DViCO's advice on installing their Vista drivers and installed their 3.5obeta app from their ftp site, then stopped the automatic driver install, and installed the downloaded vista driver.

The HDTV app that comes with the product crashed after finding a bunch of channels, kinda to be expected, I think the laptop isn't fast enough for live HDTV decoding, but only to serve as a backend server/recorder. The heavy lifting of decoding and displaying content is done by my XBox 360, or so the idea goes.

Vista is smoother, snapper than previous 2 builds. My CPU is still spiking between 70-90% while streaming live HDTV to xbox360, but not the wild swings it was doing before, between 30-90% every 2 secs. Live TV playback seems smoother now, seems to have a higher priority than previous builds, or just my disk access isn't choking the system anymore.

Having learned from previous weeks, adding my channels and guide listings was fairly straightforward. I still had to pretend to be from Lewiston NY, since the DVICO tuner doesn't like Canada as selection in MCE. Added back missing local channels, adding missing listings, updated guide, and wow, they were all there.

I'm not sure what kind of Vista/MCE minions are hard at work at MS, but everytime I start my xbox360, more album covers appear. Although the rescan at the beginning is a bit annoying, I'm somehow up to about 95% Covers found. The remaining ones are mostly rare or homemade compliations, so pretty happy about the number it found sucessfully.



I still need to look into an antenna solution before it gets too cold outside...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home