Sunday, October 01, 2006

Adventures in Convergence

In the spirit of the pioneers, I ventured forth into uncharted territory, placing my faith in the unproven technology called 'Vista', and a device call the 'Xbox 360'.

Hardware:
  • Acer Centrino 1.3ghz, 768MB, 30GB internal hard drive, (laptop circa 2004)
  • DVICO Fusion 5 HDTV USB ATSC Tuner
  • RCA ant706 indoor/outdoor antenna
  • External 40GB 2.5" USB2 drive (music)
  • External 80GB 3.5" USB2 drive (video)(todo: replace when running stable)
  • Xbox 360, 20GB HD
  • assorted cat 6 and rf6 cabling

The theory is that I will use my x360 as a 'frontend' to a media server running Vista Rc1 5728.

Originally, from previous adventures, the thought was that I would store everything if a main, high powered, multi drive pc, running in my closet. After having fun times running Linux + ctorrent on my original softmodded xbox (which, by the way, makes a great, low watt torrent machine, better than leaving on 400+ watts all day), the plan is to try to be as low powered as reasonable; enter my recently replaced Acer 1.3ghz laptop. We'll see it if can hold its own, running Vista, and streaming video to the x360. Early tests are very promising, but not perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home